Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Resurrecting a Sea Scout Ship!


When I first moved here to Slidell, Louisiana I looked for a Sea Scout Ship to join, and was disappointed when I heard that they had all been wiped out by Hurricane Katrina!

A year later I found a ship fairly local (Covington/Mandeville - half hour or so) SS Ship 312/314 and asked if there were any ships closer to me. There isn't, but there WAS: Ship 1 Sea Raptor. Jacques Walker gave me the email address, name, and phone number of a Commodore who was trying to resurrect Ship 1. Yay! I called, left a message, emailed - no response.

Fast Forward a year later... I have gone through SALT leader training with ship 312/314, I have a Sea Scout Manual, I attended their first landship ceremony as a unit, took some pics, and gave some input! I was informed that the resurrection of Ship 1 was indefinitely postponed. So I could join ships 312/314 (Scout Ship and Explorer Club), but still 30-45 min away.  

Shortly thereafter, Jacques sent me a message saying he had given my name/email/phone number to that same Commodore. I don't know what I was expecting, but lunch that week, and now I'm the Ship's Committee Member, and we had a formation meeting!

Our charter is ready to submit, we have 5 adult leaders, and now only need 5 youths to join! Then we can send it all off with our application fee!

We have a couple events in November where we will be distributing informational flyers to let the community know we are back! The Commodore, she is the Commodore of Tammany Yacht Club, our ship's Charter Organization! I also have approval from some local business to bring our flyer in to post up! Including West Marine! 



Events:

Lady of Lourdes Church 11-06-18
Faith Music Fest 11-10-18


Exciting times!


I'm even more excited that technology has changed so much there is a HUGE amount of info and training aids online now! I love it!!

We moved!

  We have moved. Yep, you guessed it... to Las Vegas! So now I am back working at the flower shop I started my work journey with, but they h...